WHOLE CHICKEN IN CROCKPOT
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 large chicken
- Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
- Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
- Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high or on low for 8 or so hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade stock from all the leftover bones, skin and fat!—-
This is a great way to have meat to add to soups, stews, casseroles, burritos, etc. for an entire week!
throw all the left overs in crock with filtered water and cook on low for 10-24 hours. Drain the liquid off the bones, etc. and discard the bones. Store the liquid in fridge until the fat has settled on top. Skim off the fat and your broth is ready to use! You can also add additional spices, carrots, celery, salt, etc. to the broth while it cooks!